Combined Bachelor of Science in Exercise & Sport Science and Master of Science in Athletic Training
earn two degrees in five years with this accelerated health science program
frostburg state university offers an accelerated dual degree program leading to a bachelor's degree (b.s.) in exercise and sport science and a master of science in athletic training (msat) degree. this unique 5-year combined program offers students an opportunity to complete graduate courses that will count towards their undergraduate degree. high school applicants to fsu may apply for direct-admission to the 5-year combined program. those interested in athletic training who already have or will have an undergraduate degree and have completed the prerequisite coursework, may apply directly to the professional (2-year) phase of the msat program.
the rigorous combined program, a part of fsu’s department of kinesiology, requires courses in physical and biological sciences as well as courses specifically designed for athletic training to prepare students for multiple paths in health sciences and allied health professions.
it is a hands-on program that prepares you to pass the board of certification examination to become a certified athletic trainer.
- complete both degrees in just five years, a process that would normally take six.
- during the exss program, students focus on general education requirements, core courses in exercise science, and prerequisite courses required in the athletic training master’s program.
- enter a highly selective athletic training program with a strong reputation throughout maryland and the entire region.
combined bs exss/msat program highlights:
- gain hands-on experience working with intercollegiate athletes, high school athletes and other affiliate sites under the supervision of a certified and licensed athletic trainer and other health care providers.
- complete capstone experiences that have been developed to prepare you for a career working as a health fitness specialist and certified athletic trainer.
- be a part of classes that include a combination of didactic and clinical experiences that result in achieving a well-rounded education of medical knowledge and human performance skills.
- learn exercise science skills using fsu’s extremely well-equipped facilities that include a state of the art physiology lab and athletic training clinic with the latest therapeutic equipment.
- develop critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills to successfully work in a field where time and deft action are vitally important to positive medical outcomes.
- join the department's uplift club, the athletic training club, the student athletic advisory committee, or student health advisory council to support your professional development in the fitness and health care field.
about our athletic training faculty:
- engage with athletic training professionals who have many years of intensive clinical experience.
- learn from experienced faculty with various backgrounds in health and exercise science, nutrition, physical therapy, and athletic training.
- work side by side with faculty members and preceptors who will work diligently with you to help you succeed.
sample athletic training courses you may take:
emergency medical techniques in athletic training – gain an introduction to the management of medical emergencies in an athletic training environment.
therapeutic modalities– undertake the study of both the theoretical basis and practical use of various therapeutic modalities. learn how modalities such as heat, cold, electricity and ultrasound work.
orthopedic assessment i and ii – learn how to assess injuries to all parts of the body, from the head to the toes.
find out more about frostburg state university’s combined bachelor of science in exercise and sport science/master of science in athletic training program (bs/msat) requirements (pdf).
career outlook for athletic trainers:as parents and educators become more aware of the dangers of sports-related injuries at a young age, the demand for knowledgeable athletic trainers will grow rapidly. for this reason, the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates job growth of 19 percent through 2022 for athletic trainers, which is faster than the average across all occupations. for more information, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook)
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email email@example.com
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now