bachelor of science in computer information systems
the availability of information is rapidly changing the world. take control of this powerful resource with a career as an it specialist.
as technology becomes increasingly crucial to our everyday lives, a degree in computer information systems from frostburg state university almost guarantees you a promising career. companies around the world, from global chains to local shops, are turning to electronic options to store their records and keep in contact with customers. information systems specialists form the vital link that provides businesses with these highly desirable services. in four years, you could be building databases for a company of your choice or working with a consulting firm, helping a variety of clients with exciting assignments. whatever your special interests are, a career in computer information systems can find a place for you at a job that makes a difference.
- prepare yourself with a degree program that includes basic accounting and business management classes – employers will love your well-rounded background and appreciate your skill with both the human and technological aspects of information systems.
- delve into the ethical obligations and questions around massive electronic information-handling so you have a strong thought process to draw on in the future.
- start your career as a database administrator, it manager, systems architect or software quality assurance analyst.
computer information systems highlights
- explore the new gira center for communication and information technologies, a facility designed to give you the best tools available for modern computer science learning.
- join upsilon pi epsilon, an international honor society for outstanding computer science and information technology students.
- intern with an industry, government office or small business to develop your skills in a real-world setting and impress your future employers with your experience.
- develop your best programs and other works into a portfolio that will give you a running start in the information technology industry.
about our computer science faculty:
- learn in small classes that give you one-on-one time with professors who know your name.
- meet teachers from around the world who are dedicated to education and eager to help you make the most of yourself.
sample computer information systems courses:
structured systems analysis and design – analysis and design of information processing systems. topics include system development life cycle: study phase, design phase, development phase, operation phase. student will design and analyze a simple system.
digital logic – basic switching theory. design and analysis of combinational logic circuits and synchronous sequential systems. minimization techniques, boolean algebra, karnaugh maps and number systems. programmable logic and basic computer architecture. register transfer language. memory decoding, microprogramming and bus structure and operation. detailed study of an actual simple minicomputer or microcomputer system.
database management systems – introduction to database management systems. topics include database design, database models such as entity-relationship and normalization. practical use of data definition languages and data manipulation language of a commercial database management system such as oracle.
find out more about frostburg state university’s computer information systems program
career outlook for computer information systems specialists
demand for it experts is increasing as more companies rely more heavily on information technology and electronic communications to keep and process their records. significant growth is expected in it consulting firms, which perform various it management tasks as clients request them. healthcare systems are also likely to employ many new it specialists to handle electronic records and prescriptions, recent technologies that are rapidly revamping the medical field. it specialists with experience or education in cloud computing, networks or general business may be especially desirable. for more information, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm