bachelor of science in computer science
help shape the world of tomorrow by crafting the technology for it today.
frostburg state university’s bachelor of computer science program readies you to take your place in the growing field of computer programming. our classes give you the skills vital to maintaining the continual development of the virtual world and the possibilities for human interaction with it. take your place as a computer programmer, creating programs from their most basic code on up using languages like c++ and java, or a software developer, designing programs on a broader scale to best interface with the human element. computer specialists format programs to work on an increasing variety of platforms, including web and cloud-based services, as computer technology continues to expand into every area of daily life.
- build your career with apple, microsoft, ibm, boeing, nasa, or the cia, stand-out organizations that have hired graduates of frostburg state university.
- prepare yourself with a solid background in the basics of computer science, experience working with modern tools and programs, and the ability to adapt to new innovations in the technological world.
computer science highlights
- familiarize yourself with the latest languages, tools, and techniques in computer programming.
- take on an internship, if you choose, and test your skills in a real-world setting.
- study in the new gira center for communication and information technologies, a facility designed around the needs of modern computer science and communications students.
- meet fellow computer science students in upsilon pi epsilon, the computer science honor society, or the student-run computer club.
- compile your best programs and other projects from your time at frostburg into a portfolio that will show off your skills and impress future employers.
about our computer science faculty:
- learn in small classes that give you one-on-one time with professors who know your name.
- meet teachers from around the world who are dedicated to education and eager to help you make the most of yourself.
sample computer science courses:
fundamentals of computer networks – introduction to computer networking using tcp/ip protocol suite. topics include application layer, transport layer, network layer, data link layer, physical layer, and socket programming.
low-level programming concepts – introduction to assembly language programming and to the architecture of the computer as seen from the programmer’s point of view. topics include the virtual machine concept, data representation, boolean operations, the instruction execution cycle, memory management, integer and floating-point arithmetic, low-level procedures, interrupt handling, instruction encoding, and the high-level language interface.
operating systems concepts – process management, scheduling, time slicing, concurrency, mutual exclusion, semaphores, research management, memory mapping, virtual systems, mass storage, file systems. case studies of operating systems.
find out more about frostburg state university’s computer science program
career outlook for computer specialists
according to the u.s. bureau of labor statistics, computer programmers can expect an 18% growth in jobs across computer-based occupations from 2012-2022, a somewhat faster increase than in other fields. this growth stems from increasing demand for new software and applications for continually developing devices and industry, like the virtualizing of healthcare records. while some companies have begun outsourcing their programming needs to firms in lower-wage countries, many others are actively employing computer programmers within the u.s. programmers can improve their prospects by gaining fluency in a variety of programming languages rather than specializing in one, and by learning to use the latest virtual tools. for more information, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm