bachelor of science in exercise and sport science
major in a science-based program promoting health and fitness
more than just weightlifting and sports, frostburg state university’s undergraduate program in exercise and sport science connects you to a growing field with a vast range of career options, including anything related to fitness, health and wellness. this highly scientific discipline grows in importance each year and teaches you to think critically about what it takes to maintain fitness and wellness not only among youth, but with people of all ages.
as an exercise and sport science major, you’ll engage in science and health courses and graduate with a variety of hands-on experiential learning opportunities, including a full-time internship and several semesters of field experiences. you’ll complete coursework designed to help you earn fitness and wellness certifications and forge connections that can lead to a fulfilling career.
- get ready for a career working as a health fitness specialist, wellness coach, strength and conditioning coach, personal trainer or operator of your own training facility.
- be eligible to take the national strength and conditioning association (nsca) certification exam to become a certified strength and conditioning specialist (cscs), or take the american college of sports medicine (acsm) exam for certified exercise physiologists.
- prepare for optional graduate coursework in health-related fields like human performance, kinesiology, physical therapy, occupational therapy and exercise physiology.
bachelor of science in exercise and sport science highlights:
- gain a well-rounded sport science education that includes courses covering the science of personal motivation, how to operate your own training facility and the scientific processes and statistical measurements behind fitness and wellness.
- complete a three-credit field experience and a nine-credit internship working in a health, wellness or exercise field that provides real-world experience valued by employers.
- learn to accurately evaluate the health of people at all ages using scientific measures.
- develop your knowledge and skills using fsu’s exceptional sports facilities, including the cordts physical education center that operates the activities for life program serving frostburg and the surrounding community.
- join in extracurricular activities with uplift, a student organization focusing on health, fitness, working out and eating right.
about our exercise and sport science faculty:
- study with faculty members who are active participants in their disciplines and excellent role models for students wanting to enter the sports science field.
- take part in hands-on classes that provide lots of opportunity for interaction between sport science faculty and students.
sample exercise and sport science courses you may take:
biomechanics for exercise and sport science – explore the mechanics of human motion – muscles and joints. apply mechanical principles to the study of human movement in exercise and daily life. study biomechanical relationships in the upper and lower extremities and the vertebral column.
evaluation and prescription in fitness – complete an in-depth examination of the physical fitness of an individual, including aerobic capacity, caloric needs, body composition and other components of health.
psychology of physical activity – study concepts related to psychology and physical activity. the course takes a theory-to-practice approach on how social psychological variables influence motor behavior and how physical activity affects the psychological makeup of the individual.
find out more about frostburg state university’s exercise and sport science program requirements (pdf).
career outlook for fitness trainers and instructors:
becoming a fitness trainer or instructor is one of several diverse career paths accessible with a bachelor degree in exercise and sport science. according to the u.s. bureau of labor statistics, practitioners in the trainer and fitness instructor field can anticipate 13 percent growth in positions through 2022. for more information, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook).