Bachelor of Science in Health & Physical Education
build a future improving your students’ minds and bodies
frostburg state university’s nationally accredited undergraduate program in Health & Physical Education starts you down the road to a fun-filled career that mixes education and well-being. Certified health and physical education teachers can find fulfilling jobs working with students of all ages, from prekindergarten to high school, teaching others proper exercise and nutrition, and improving athletic performance.
frostburg brings you an undergraduate program loaded with opportunities to set your teaching skills in stone through real-world experience, with internships and opportunities to interact with prek-12 students throughout your college years. the program’s dual nature, pairing health education and physical education, gives you access to two possible career fields and boosts your odds of landing a job you’ll love.
- prepare for a competitive job market with a degree that prepares you for two certifications – creating twice the opportunity for employment!
- experience small class sizes and extra-curricular opportunities that foster close-knit, supportive relationships with peers and faculty mentors.
Health & PE Highlights
- stay on track with a program redesigned to help you graduate on time. our tightened curriculum means you can complete your degree in four years, save money and get your dream career started sooner.
- flesh out your qualifications with some superb experience in the motor clinic, which puts you in touch with students with special needs from area schools.
- apply and refine your teaching skills during a semester-long capstone internship in local public schools. fsu places you with highly qualified teachers who have been trained by program faculty to give you a quality experience.
- work with local prek-12 students even before your internship experience. fsu hosts programs that bring local students to campus so you can develop your skills and confidence on familiar turf before going out into schools around the region.
- make the most of frostburg’s great health and exercise facilities, which include a new astrazeneca fitness center, indoor pool, climbing wall, weight rooms and indoor and outdoor ball courts.
About Our Health & PE Faculty:
- meet professional faculty who are dedicated to giving you the educational experience of a lifetime! while students at larger colleges may rarely see their teachers outside of class, professors at fsu are accessible and love when you stop by their office for a visit.
- learn from quality faculty who provide hands-on experiences and meaningful mentoring.
Sample Health & PE Courses:
technology in health and physical education – introduction to content and practical applications of technology for the health and physical educator, including microsoft office programs, online presentation tools and discipline-specific technology devices.
applied physiology – understanding how the cardio-respiratory, digestive and muscle/neural systems function in the human body; how to teach physiological principles of training, how to promote a physically active lifestyle.
motor learning and performance – motor skill acquisition concepts. nature of the learner, guidance, results, motivation, practice, transfer, retention and psychological implications. offered online.
health instruction – basic concepts of health education. implementing a health education program for grades k-12, including a 20-day experience teaching periods of health education in a local high school.
find out more about frostburg state university’s Health & Physical Education program
career outlook for physical and health educators
new positions for health and physical education teachers in prek-12 schools will vary by region and grade level, depending on an area’s number of students and available funding. more growth is expected in younger classrooms than in high schools, although the need to replace retiring teachers will create opportunities at all levels. teachers with certification in multiple subjects, such as physical education and health, should have significantly higher prospects. some physical education teachers also work as team coaches, which can provide extra income. for more information, check out the bureau of labor statistics’ pages on kindergarten, elementary, middle and high school teachers.