bachelor in information technology
take on a dynamic future where business meets technology.
a bachelor’s degree in information technology prepares you to dive head-first into the thriving worlds of both business and computer information systems. as organizations increasingly rely on electronics to stay connected and functioning, demand has skyrocketed for computer professionals who can make technology decisions with the businesses’ needs in mind. frostburg’s information technology program can give you the education you need in both computers and business to make the best decisions possible and lead your company and your career to a tech-savvy tomorrow.
- start a program that could lead you to a job with google, the fbi, lockheed martin or northrop grumman, where fsu alumni have already found homes.
- choose a track specialization in accounting, business information technology, computer security, graphic arts or mass communication.
information technology highlights
- make your skill set shine with fluency in all the latest tools and techniques, an important trait in the rapidly changing world of electronics and information handling.
- pick a track specialization to boost your degree with experience working in your field of choice.
- join the fsu chapter of the association for computing machinery (acm) and enjoy all the resources and membership perks it has to offer.
- find friends and other passionate it students in the upsilon pi epsilon honor society or in the student-run computer club.
- collect your stand-out projects and programs into a portfolio that will impress your future employer and get you the job you want.
- Enjoy all the state-of-the-art technology and support available in the Gira Center for Communications and Information Technology, the new home of the Computer Science & Information Technologies department.
about our information technology faculty:
- learn in small classes that give you one-on-one time with professors who know your name.
- meet teachers from around the world who are dedicated to education and eager to help you make the most of yourself.
sample information technology courses:
programming – fundamental data structures including the use of stacks, queues, graphs and trees; fundamental programming constructs including basic syntax and semantics; object oriented programming; algorithms and problem solving; event-driven programming; recursion.
database systems i – introduction to principles of database development focusing on major business functions and benefits of databases and database planning, models, design and applications. learn how to approach a real world database project, convert the project requirement to a design and finally implement using a commercial database management system.
network implementation – foundations of networking, lans, wans, service providers, packets, hubs, routers, switches, internet protocols, layered models, physical layer, security and application areas.
security and risk management – security issues, management processes, architecture and models; risk analysis and management; security planning, analysis and safeguards; security policies development and administration; contingency planning, incidence handling and response; security standards and certification processes.
find out more about frostburg state university’s information technology program
career outlook for information technology specialists
students entering the it field can expect to be in high demand upon graduation. positions like network architect, computer systems analyst, database administrator and systems manager are expected to grow much faster than the national average. well-qualified systems specialists also enjoy very good prospects for advancement, as many businesses have a hard time finding qualified applicants in this rapidly growing field. for more information, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm