b.s./b.a. in international studies
go as high or as far as you dream with studies that double as your ticket to the world.
everything in the modern world has an international element, from manufacturing to military operations. international specialists are needed in every organization that hopes to be a global player, forming bridges and building relationships to create a better world.
whether your career focus is politics, economics or business, the international studies program has core courses focused on how topics are interconnected globally. real world opportunities--from activities with exchange students to your own studies abroad--connect you to a “world of experiences!"
- Enjoy the varied resources and opportunities of this interdisciplinary program, supported by 威尼斯app下载’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and College of Business.
- concentrate in international business, politics, economics or development, or keep your studies broad with a general international studies degree.
international studies highlights:
- make friends from all over the world in fsu’s numerous international student clubs.
- travel with the center for international education, which offers study abroad programs in hundreds of universities spread across more than 40 countries!
- draw connections between the foundations of international studies – history, politics, economics and geography.
- Specialize with the International Area Studies certificate in Europe, Africa & the Middle East, Asia or Latin America complementing (not required for) the international Studies major.
- gain fluency in spanish or french, an excellent skill used around the world.
- build confidence and a resume with an optional internship.
- prepare for a constantly shifting global scene.
- network with alumni employed in legislative offices on capitol hill, the hispanic chamber of commerce and a variety of economic firms.
about our international studies faculty:
- learn with faculty from departments all around the university, including history, political science, english and foreign languages, economics and geography.
sample international studies courses you may take:
international business – introduction to foreign commerce; survey of the environmental, economic, political and social constraints on doing business abroad; discussion of issues and problems facing managers when firms do business with and within foreign countries.
political geography – geographic factors affecting national identity and the present development of countries. consideration of the spatial organization of political units at the international and domestic scale.
comparative economic systems – analysis of ideology and problems in different economic systems: capitalism, marxism and socialism. comparisons of centrally planned and unplanned economics; free market pricing and direct controls; private enterprise and nationalized industry.
intercultural understanding – the study of the concept of culture as well as its multiple manifestations and the case study of three diverse peoples. team taught.
find out more about frostburg state university’s international studies program requirements (pdf).
career outlook for international studies professionals:
graduates of international studies programs have unique opportunities available to them in virtually any field they choose. non-profits, governments and organizations that conduct business or have partnerships overseas all require internationally savvy professionals to manage their relationships abroad. when searching for an international job, applicants have a much greater chance of success when searching by sector – ngo, government agency or private firm – rather than by a particular country. recent graduates are also more likely to find employment with a us-based organization that may then send them abroad. for more information and resources, check out the bureau of labor statistics’ occupational outlook handbook, the united nations’ careers and young professionals programme pages, idealist.org or the u.s. bureau of international organization affairs’ careers page.