bachelor in secure computing and information assurance
enter the exciting career field of network security
a bachelor’s degree in secure computing and information assurance from frostburg state university prepares you to enter a career field that is in high demand and filled with exciting challenge. cyber security is one of our nation’s top concerns. the government and u.s. businesses must remain vigilant to protect national security and proprietary information from international hackers.
the degree you earn in frostburg’s secure computing program gives you extensive hands-on experience working with information security issues in state-of-the-art computer facilities and research labs. you’ll learn to recognize and analyze the local and global impact of a challenge and gain the tools and knowledge you need to correct network security problems before they grow.
- enter a secure computing program that is working with the national security agency to gain nsa certification.
- become part of the rapidly expanding cyber security career field.
- graduates of the secure computing and information assurance program hold positions such as cyber-intelligence analyst, counterintelligence threat analyst, network security specialist and information assurance specialist.
bachelor in secure computing and information assurance highlights:
- study in state-of-the-art computer research labs and facilities.
- be a part of small classes that provide extensive hands-on learning opportunities in the cyber security field.
- get involved in exciting experiential challenges such as working to overcome hacker threats posed by professors and fellow students.
- explore internship opportunities in the network security field, if you wish.
- join the frostburg chapter of the association of computer machinery to discuss hot topics and access the latest online resources in the computer security field.
- learn to use the latest techniques, skills and tools available in cyber security.
about our secure computing faculty:
- take courses from college professors with experience working in the computer science field.
- study with college professors who are, first and foremost, excellent classroom teachers dedicated to graduating students knowledgeable in computer security.
- learn in a small class environment that allows professors to individually mentor you in the network-security field.
secure computing and information assurance courses you may take:
secure computing - explore topics such as elementary cryptography, program security, security in general – purpose and trusted operating systems, database security, network security, security administration and legal/privacy/ethnical issues in computer security.
hacking exposed and incident response – understand common network attacks, application of information security concepts, hands-on security assessments of wired and wireless networks, web applications and intrusions, countermeasures to attacks and life cycle of incident response using real-world case studies.
cloud computing and security – delve into cloud computing basic concepts, architecture and framework. explore current popular computing technologies. understand security challenges and risks faced in cloud computing. learn about concepts, methods, procedures and tools for assuring security in cloud computing.
find out more about frostburg state university’s secure computing and information security program requirements (pdf).
also see: frostburg state university master of science in computer science degree program.
career outlook for computer security professionals:
according to the u.s. bureau of labor statistics, an information security analyst can anticipate job growth of 37 percent through 2022. this is more than four times faster growth than the average (8 percent) across all occupations. the rapid rise in the network security career field is linked to a growing need for innovative solutions that will prevent hackers from stealing critical information or creating chaos in vital computer networks. for more information, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/information-security-analysts.htm.