bachelor of science in social science
see the bigger picture with the interdisciplinary study of humanity itself!
want to study a little bit of everything? frostburg state university’s bachelor’s degree in social science may be the perfect inter-college program for you! social science students learn to think critically, consider all the factors of a situation and communicate their thoughts clearly. with courses that draw from a huge array of topics in several fields, you’ll gain a broad skill set that will make you valuable wherever you go in life.
- branch out with an interdisciplinary major that draws from economics, geography, history, political science, psychology and sociology.
social science highlights
- specialize your studies with six customizable tracks. combining the widely applicable skills gained in general social science studies with the rigor of a focus area can increase your employability!
- meet your peers and make new friends in the student-run sociology and anthropology association.
- take part in fun cultural events like the appalachian festival and mountain city traditional arts’ many offerings. frostburg is a hub of regional culture and social happenings, so there’s always plenty to get involved with!
- explore a future in social studies education. you can add a teaching certificate in secondary programs to your social science major, or, if a master’s degree may be in your future, go for fsu’s master of arts in teaching in secondary education.
about our social science faculty:
- work with dedicated teachers from departments all around the university, each of whom can offer you unique opportunities and learning experiences.
sample social science courses:
human geography – systematic consideration of factors influencing the distribution of human beings in relation to population dynamics and migration, economic development and urbanization and cultural diversity.
introduction to comparative politics – comparative analysis of representative political systems including: the effect of legal, institutional and social structures on policy; interaction of domestic policies and the global system.
social problems – description and analysis of conditions that societies define and treat as social problems. analysis of selected problems.
racial and cultural minorities – analysis of minority-majority group situations, their causes and consequences. minorities in the united states.
find out more about frostburg state university’s social science program
career outlook for social scientists
the job field for social scientists is small but growing, with a 15% increase in positions expected between 2012 and 2022. social scientists possess widely applicable analysis and communication skills and are frequently needed in other fields. this opens up a huge number of new possibilities, and applicants will likely face less competition than in more specifically sociological careers. focusing a degree program in a subfield, such as political science, psychology or geography, will give the applicant extra appeal in careers outside the strictly sociological. possible positions include political analyst, demographer, survey researcher, statistician, sales and marketing, administration, management and teaching. for more information, visit the bureau of labor statistics’ webpages on sociologists and community and social service occupations, or check out the american sociological association.