bachelor of science in social work
get your education in making the world a better place!
want to spend your career helping people lead happier lives? a bachelor’s degree in social work from frostburg state university can get you started! social workers make a huge impact in the lives of the people they work with, helping clients cope with problems big and small and connecting them to the services they need.
frostburg’s program prepares you for generalist practice as a social worker with a thorough, liberal arts education backed by plenty of experience. on graduation, you’ll have the skills and confidence you need to start practicing professionally or to get into a great graduate program. wherever you want to go and however you want to help the people around you, frostburg’s social work program is a perfect place to start!
- start your career in social work with a program accredited by the council on social work education (cswe).
- thrive in frostburg’s socially active environment, which offers numerous opportunities to get and stay involved.
social work highlights
- delve into the diverse field of social work! fsu’s courses cover topics like social and economic justice, diversity, values and ethics, at-risk populations, human behavior and social welfare policy.
- join in and stay involved with lively student organizations like the social work alliance and the frostburg chapter of amnesty international.
- get the experience to start your career off right. the social work program helps you land a full-time internship in your last semester, and the frostburg area is full of opportunities to volunteer your time and talent. it’ll look great on your résumé!
- prepare for the maryland state social work licensure exam and open up possibilities for your future in advanced positions.
- meet peers who are as dedicated as you are! frostburg’s competitive admissions process means your classmates will be passionate and driven young professionals.
- jump-start any graduate studies you may take on next! qualified graduates can get advanced standing in master’s programs of social work, which saves time completing your graduate degree.
about our social work faculty:
- work with passionate professors in small classes that make your teachers available and ready to help you achieve your dreams.
sample social work courses:
social policy – analysis of contemporary social welfare programs, services, policies and issues. social welfare systems and their relation to other institutions in society.
human behavior and the social environment ii – examines the development of individual and group behavior from an ecological systems perspective. the course fosters an understanding of the total person by integrating knowledge gained in other liberal arts courses.
foundations for generalist practice – basic procedures in social work: verbal and nonverbal communication, listening, observing, developing relationships, interviewing and recording.
Generalist Practice with Individuals & Families – beginning theories and techniques of social work intervention within social systems utilizing an eclectic, ecological, problem-solving approach.
find out more about frostburg state university’s social work program
career outlook for social workers
social workers find employment across all aspects of human life, including family, clinical, addictions, school and healthcare social work, and possess a skill set valued in many more fields. some social work positions, including clinical counselors, are required to be licensed by the state in which they work and to have an appropriate master’s degree. accredited bachelor’s and master’s programs all have an experiential component, with an internship requirement, to solidify skills and increase employability, but some positions also require supervised experience beyond the degree-earning years. for more information, visit the bureau of labor statistics’ pages on social workers and other community and social service occupations.