emphasis in addictions counseling
add a valuable credential to your studies in improving lives
frostburg state university’s emphasis in addictions counseling combines readily with a major in psychology or social work and can put you on the road to a successful career in counseling. fsu’s program is designed to meet the education requirements for maryland certification in counseling and includes special topics classes like ethics, treatment delivery and drugs’ impact on behavior to make you a prepared and well-rounded professional. with a promising and purposeful career in addictions counseling, you can help bring effective, modern, research-based techniques to the people who need them most.
- enter a rapidly growing and in-demand career field.
- use your bachelor’s degree and addictions counseling training to qualify for the state of maryland licensing exam for a certified associate counselor.
addictions counseling highlights
- build up experience and skills in addressing issues that will affect many of your future clients.
- develop your knowledge of addiction issues to prepare for a supervised field experience, a requirement of the maryland state addiction counselor license.
- make new friends in psychology club or in psi chi, fsu’s chapter of the national honor society for psychology students.
- get ready for the state of maryland exam and earn certification as a maryland state addiction counselor.
- Explore your options for other credentials in 威尼斯app下载’s Psychology department, which also offers emphases in Child & Family Psychology and Leadership in Psychology, plus a Master’s degree!
- improve your application to a graduate program in psychology or counseling with this stand-out credential.
about our addictions counseling faculty:
- get to know your professors in small classes, which help you access valuable resources and one-on-one learning experiences.
sample addictions counseling courses:
drugs and human behavior – research and theory concerning psychoactive drugs. various drug classifications, their biological, psychological and social effects on the human organism and the environment, especially alcohol and other frequently abused drugs.
addictions treatment delivery – addresses the practice dimensions necessary for addiction counselors. within each dimension, student introduced to the knowledge, skills and attitudes conducive to appropriate addiction service delivery.
find out more about frostburg state university’s addictions counseling program
career outlook for licensed addiction counselors
addictions and behavioral counseling fields are expected to see rapid job growth, with over 21,000 new jobs anticipated between 2014 and 2024. this growth is due to more widespread insurance availability and coverage of addiction and mental health counseling, as well as courts increasingly preferring treatment services over jail time for some drug offenders. private practitioners must be certified by their state and hold at least a master’s degree. requirements for jobs outside of private practice vary by state. for more information, check out the bureau of labor statistics’ pages on substance abuse counselors and other community and social service occupations.