focus in mathematical sciences
begin your future working hands-on with the “queen of the sciences!”
interested in using your passion for mathematics to make a huge impact on real-world issues? a focus in mathematical sciences can link your mathematics prowess with practical applications in another field, or it can provide you with skills relevant to a science you already love.
frostburg’s mathematical sciences focus is optimized to help students in mathematics, chemistry, physics and other programs connect their passion for mathematics with a science that relies on it. as a mathematical sciences student, you’ll have access to outstanding technological tools and activities that set your skills in stone. small classes allow you to shine and give you the attention you deserve, as well as connect you to valuable resources through your professors and the community. check out how you can apply yourself across disciplines!
- refine your studies in mathematics, chemistry, physics or another field with a focus that gives you a highly desirable skill set.
- combine your love of mathematics with the ability to apply it wherever life takes you!
mathematical sciences highlights
- check out the modern facilities and the mathematics department’s new home in the center for communications and information technology, where you’ll find cutting-edge tools to gain experience for the professional world.
- find your place in a growing and high-demand field, in which most graduates can easily land a job in their preferred field shortly after earning their degree.
- build up your resume and put your skills to the test with an optional internship program, which can help you apply your education and get some valuable experience in a real business environment.
- go easy on your wallet! in addition to great tuition rates, frostburg offers a number of unique scholarship opportunities just for mathematics majors. and the fsu tutoring center is always looking for excellent students to mentor their peers in work-study positions.
- find out if you’ve got what it takes to teach. the mathematics department employs a number of students every semester to serve as instructional assistants.
- enjoy personalized learning in small classes that typically have only 15 students at advanced levels, allowing you to interact with your teachers and peers and access unique learning experiences.
about our mathematics faculty:
- meet passionate and energetic professors who can help you realize your dreams. every student gets a faculty academic advisor picked just for them to become an invaluable source of advice, out-of-the-classroom experience and learning opportunities.
sample mathematical sciences courses:
introduction to real analysis – topology of real numbers; sequences, cluster points, continuity, theory of differentiation and integration; elements of measure theory; infinite series.
differential equations – solution of ordinary differential equations, laplace transforms, numerical methods using mathematical software, solution by series.
mathematical physics – topics in mathematical methods: finite differences, fourier series, partial differential equations, complex variables and conformal mapping with physical applications.
mathematical models and applications – model-building processes, the assumptions underlying mathematical models and the generation and interpretation of results from models. theory and illustrative applications of modeling. analysis of models constructed by students.
find out more about frostburg state university’s mathematical sciences program
career outlook for mathematical sciences specialists
graduates of mathematical sciences programs possess a set of highly sought-after analytical skills that can be applied across a wide range of fields. disciplines from the sciences to law to the performing arts seek mathematics professionals for all kinds of positions to help keep their businesses running smoothly and efficiently. due to high demand, students can usually find full-time employment shortly after graduation. job opportunities have been rapidly growing across math-centered occupations, including positions as actuaries, research analysts and statisticians, and pay is typically very competitive. as in most fields, a master’s degree in mathematics may open doors to advancement and higher pay. for more information, check out the bureau of labor statistics’ pages on mathematics occupations.