health science pre-professional preparation programs
get ready for success in the professional school of your choice
frostburg state university is proud to offer a variety of preparatory programs for students interested in careers in health care. these programs get you ready to excel in a professional school with strong core classes and dedicated teachers who can help you throughout your studies and application process. you’ll have access to unique resources and one-of-a-kind opportunities to perform research and start fleshing out your resume with real experience. the health science pre-professional programs foster a solid foundation in the sciences and pair well with many of fsu’s bachelor’s degree programs.
- enjoy a flexible program that allows you to shape your curriculum to match the requirements of your chosen professional school.
- prepare for your future with a program whose graduates enjoy a very high acceptance rate into professional schools and find success in their studies beyond frostburg.
health science preparation highlights
- design your own preparation or pick from plans geared towards specific healthcare programs at maryland schools. programs include dental hygiene, medical technology, nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy and physical therapy.
- Build on what you’re passionate about. Since a science major is not required for admission to medical school, you can combine your health science studies with any field you choose. Popular majors include Biology – Pre-Health Professions, Chemistry, Health Science, Exercise & Sports Science and Athletic Training
- keep in contact with your advisor and the health professions advisory committee, who can boost your application prospects by keeping tabs on course requirements, conducting interviews and supplying letters of recommendation.
- get involved in your classes. fsu’s hands-on emphasis and focus on experiential learning give you real experience before you graduate.
- join up with friends and peers in the pre-professional medical society, an organization for students planning to attend professional schools in medical fields. the pre-professional medical society is known for being active around campus and hosting speakers, events and charitable drives.
- get ready for your standardized admission test, which can vary based on the kind of professional school you want to attend. fsu’s career services can help you stay on top of exams and other opportunities that let you excel after graduation.
about our pre-professional program faculty:
- engage in small classrooms where your teachers can provide hands-on experiences and one-on-one learning opportunities.
- connect with your pre-health professions advisor, who will help you get the most out of your preparatory program.
career outlook for healthcare professionals
healthcare fields in general are expected to expand rapidly, with the bureau of labor statistics anticipation 2.3 million new health-related jobs to be created between 2014 and 2024. demand for a variety of healthcare providers will be driven by a large aging population and increased access to health insurance. for more information, check out the many possible careers listed on the bureau of labor statistics’ page on healthcare occupations.