minor in animal behavior
delve into the fascinating study of the animal mind and behavior
frostburg state university’s animal behavior program provides an innovative opportunity to combine perspectives from both biology and psychology in the study of how animals solve problems and behave in their natural habitats. the minor fosters a solid foundation in biology and psychology, reinforced with electives so you can craft your program to suit your interests. this partnership between the departments of biology and psychology creates many opportunities for hands-on research experiences and the ability to learn about a variety of animal species.
- engage in an interdisciplinary program that highlights the strong ties between biology and psychology.
animal behavior highlights
- fit your minor to your interests with a variety of biology and psychology elective courses.
- thrive in small classes that give you one-on-one learning opportunities and access to great resources.
- round out your minor with an optional research experience. the biology and psychology departments welcome students to perform research with a faculty mentor or conduct their own independent studies.
- build your resume by presenting your work at conferences or fsu’s undergraduate research symposium.
about our animal behavior faculty:
- learn with stand-out professors from both the psychology and biology departments, who conduct a wide variety of research relating to animals.
sample animal behavior courses:
animal learning and cognition – exploration of the cognitive abilities of nonhuman animals. topics include classical and operant conditioning, memory, communication, social learning and primate cognition.
physiological psychology – characteristics of the nervous and endocrine system and their relationship to human and animal behavior.
research applications in animal behavior and cognition – overview of research methods used to examine the behavior and cognitive abilities of nonhuman animals. research projects designed to provide first-hand experience conducting behavioral research with animals.
mammalogy – the structure, taxonomy, behavior, ecology, evolution and public health significance of mammals, and history of the science of mammalogy. laboratory emphasizes anatomy, identification, capture techniques, habitat analysis and home-range and population characterization.
find out more about frostburg state university’s animal behavior program
career outlook for animal behavior minors
having a background in animal behavior will give students better skills in scientifically studying behavior and research methodology. graduates with a background in a psychology field may have extra appeal as employees due to their analytical skills. graduates of wildlife, veterinary or other zoological programs will be distinguished by their ability to understand an animal’s mental processes. animal behavior students also benefit from having studied an interdisciplinary subject, which builds their ability to make connections across fields. animal behavior minors gain skills and knowledge beneficial for graduate study in animal cognition, veterinary medicine, and wildlife related fields. for more information, check out the bureau of labor statistics’ pages on wildlife biologists and psychologists.