minor in finance
manage your resources like a pro – no matter where you go in life!
frostburg state university’s minor in finance can give you the skills to expertly handle your personal resources or to branch a program outside the college of business into a money-managing field. with classes in accounting, finance principles, economics and a variety of electives, this minor provides a solid, well-rounded foundation for anyone interested in making the most of what they have. individuals and organizations of all kinds will be looking for someone to help manage their money as the economy fluctuates. you could be the one to help your friends, family and co-workers emerge strong and proud to have you on their team.
- boost your degree outside the fsubusiness common body of knowledge with a minor that can create opportunities in your career and personal life.
- give yourself a skill set that will bring you rewards for years to come.
- try out your new finance skills and meet your peers in the finance, global business and marketing clubs, or challenge yourself with beta gamma sigma honor society.
- enjoy frostburg’s student-faculty ratio of 17:1, which allows one-on-one interaction and personalized learning experiences while maintaining the community and diversity of a classroom environment.
- see the world with fsubusiness’ global experiential learning program, which takes students of all majors on business-oriented summer learning trips around the globe. destinations include ecuador, china and brazil!
about our finance faculty:
- study global finance with a multinational faculty whose firsthand experience all over the world will help prepare you for your future, wherever it may be.
- get to know your professors in and outside of class – faculty also serve as academic advisors, club advisors and caring mentors.
- learn from professionals who are actively involved in their field, writing for and editing peer-reviewed publications.
sample finance courses:
principles of finance – introduction to basic principles of the three traditional divisions of finance: financial markets and institutions, investment and portfolio analysis, and corporate finance.
introduction to personal financial planning – overview of elements in the personal financial planning process: goal identification and budgeting, tax management, insurance planning and risk management, investments planning, retirement income and benefits, and issues in estate planning.
retirement income planning – retirement income savings planning. characteristics of various pension plans. management of defined contribution plans and defined benefit plans, investment of pension assets and performance evaluation of pension funds.
find out more about frostburg state university’s finance program
career outlook for finance professionals
an education in finance, even as a minor, can boost your employability in a wide variety of occupations as well as prepare you to master your own finances. graduates can explore a career as a personal financial advisor, a position that often does not require a degree in a specific field but will certainly be more accessible to those with some higher education in finance. certification and licensing from various organizations may also be part of the hiring process. employment of financial advisors is expected to grow 27% between 2012 and 2022, a huge change driven by a large aging population and decreased corporate and state pension funds. for more information, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/personal-financial-advisors.htm