minor in financial services
round out your business skills with finance and be prepared for whatever comes your way.
already planning a degree in an fsubusiness field, but wish you had a better grasp on money-managing? no problem! students in the accounting, economics and business administration programs can take on a minor in financial services and enhance their business skill set. the financial services minor can prepare you to make the most of your own finances or to manage and invest funds for a business or organization. as the economy shifts, businesses increasingly look for professionals who can work with the many aspects of a business. your studies in financial services may be the extra quality that catches the eye of your future employer.
- add a useful and highly desirable specialization in finance to your resume.
- excel in advanced finance courses, which tie into and build off of your studies in the college of business’ common body of knowledge.
- enjoy learning in a personalized environment. fsu’s 17:1 student-faculty ratio allows you individual, hands-on time with experiential learning activities while still providing a collaborative classroom setting.
- try out your new finance skills and meet your peers in the finance club, or challenge yourself with the beta gamma sigma honor society.
- broaden your horizons on an adventure with the global experiential learning program, which helps business students find study abroad programs, global internships and international teaching experiences. the gel program also takes students of all majors on summer learning trips, with destinations that include ecuador, china and brazil!
about our finance faculty:
- study global finance with a multinational faculty whose firsthand experience all over the world will help prepare you for your future, wherever it may be.
- get to know your professors in and outside of class – faculty also serve as academic advisors, club advisors, and caring mentors.
- learn from professionals who are actively involved in their field, writing for and editing peer-reviewed publications.
sample finance courses:
corporate finance – principles of financial management within business enterprises. basics of financial analysis, stocks and bonds valuation, capital budgeting, capital structure decisions, dividend policy, and working capital management.
financial management – financial planning and performance evaluation in the business enterprise; obtaining and investing funds. case-study approach to financial decision-making: basic financial analysis, working capital management, capital budgeting, long-term financing, leasing, mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcy.
securities investment – investment opportunities in financial instruments. valuation of fixed income, equity, and derivative securities. evaluation of mutual funds. investment strategies for portfolio management: portfolio selection, diversification, and performance analysis.
find out more about frostburg state university’s financial services program
career outlook for financial managers
a minor in financial services can add qualifications to a related business degree or prepare you for a career as a finance manager. graduates entering the field will face competition from a more rapidly growing pool of applicants. knowledge of international finance management, which is offered as a class at fsu, boosts employability significantly as the global economy grows and the u.s. remains a major international financial center. most employers look for a bachelor’s degree in a business field and experience as a loan officer, accountant, auditor, securities sales agent, or financial analyst. many employers also seek candidates with a master’s degree in business, such as frostburg’s online mba. for more information on financial management careers, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm