minor in graphic design
enhance your career potential with a minor in graphic design.
a minor in graphic design from fsu can help you get the most of your interest in art and design. as the digital world continues to grow and open up new opportunities, demand for professionals with skills in graphic design is rising with it. frostburg recognizes the need for these professionals to be up-to-date with the latest technology. as a graphic design minor, you’ll develop expertise with fsu’s state-of-the-art macintosh computer labs, which are continuously updated with new software, as well as the brand new graphic design suite in the gira center for communications and information technology, dedicated to the latest and greatest tools in graphic design. very soon, you could be creating striking and innovative designs that will wow your audience and prepare you to excel as a graphic artist.
- give yourself a skill set valuable in all industries as use of the internet and other digital media becomes vital to business’ survival.
- take on a program that emphasizes the value of experiential learning and practical, real-world applications.
graphic design highlights
- enjoy truly modern design tools housed in the new gira center for communications and information technology building, including a 3d printer and laser engraver as well as solvent and aqueous printers that bring your digital designs to life.
- see your art at work. many projects involve collaboration with other departments on campus or with businesses around town and let you make a difference while gaining experience.
- build up projects from class into an impressive pre-professional portfolio, which is often the deciding factor for employers seeking talented graphic designers.
about our graphic design faculty:
- learn with teachers who grow as you do and work to incorporate new tools and techniques into their curricula.
- explore graphic art media with faculty whose focuses include digital video, 3d animation and print graphic design.
- check out the faculty-run visual arts blog at //artclump.tumblr.com/
sample graphic design courses:
digital imaging for the fine arts – engage in creating high resolution, wide format prints and delve into the world of laser engraving as well as 3d printing.
computer graphics – introduction to terminology, methods, processes, craft and technology of the computer graphic designer; emphasis on theory and application of the macintosh computer system.
advanced graphic design: print – variety of design problems using macintosh computers combined with traditional layout and illustration techniques. emphasis on the historical and functional use of a professional quality portfolio.
advanced graphic design: interactive multimedia design – processes include digital imaging, digital video and audio production, animation and interface design and scripting. emphasis on the formal, historical and sociological aspects of interactive design.
find out more about frostburg state university’s graphic design program
career outlook for graphics artists
graphic artists are increasingly in demand as the publishing world experiences a dramatic trend towards digital media. electronic publishing outlets, including website and systems designers, are expected to have a 35% increase in employment between 2012 and 2022. due to the virtual nature of graphic design, many graphic artists working independently or with firms can telecommute from home and serve clients across the world. while a degree in graphic design or a related field may be preferable, a stand-out portfolio can demonstrate a designer’s skills beyond a transcript. many employers look for applicants with formal education and skills in a variety of media, including both web-based and print, and for those familiar with the latest software and technology. for more information, visit //www.bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/graphic-designers.htm