minor in leadership studies
get ready to lead change in the world of tomorrow
whether you have experience as a leader or not, frostburg state university’s minor in leadership studies can prepare you to take on a role as an organizational or citizen leader and give you the skills to face whatever challenges come your way. fsu’s program includes a strong core of leadership classes and a collection of electives for you to choose from, and its interdisciplinary nature means you can forge connections in departments all across the university. the minor focuses on improving your communication skills and exploring leadership from many perspectives, developing not just your potential but your character. you’ll learn to lead in a way that supports change and invests in sustainable practices.
- get involved around campus! from student clubs to community organizations in need of citizen leaders, there’s plenty for a leadership studies student to do in frostburg, but the choice is yours – students aren’t required to be in leadership roles.
- fit your minor to your degree plan with a wide variety of electives in subjects ranging from communication to philosophy.
leadership studies highlights
- engage with nationally recognized leadership educators, scholars and practitioners with the leadership residency program, which brings notable leaders to campus and provides opportunities to work with and learn from them.
- thrive in small classes that give you personalized attention and opportunities to actively engage in your learning experience.
- explore programs designed to build citizen leaders through democratic engagement, service learning and volunteer opportunities with the office of civic engagement, which hosts fsu’s town hall meetings. other experiential opportunities at fsu include the echostars (or americorps) program, alternative spring break initiatives and leadership experiences with local service agencies.
- stand out and get involved with the office of leadership and experiential learning, which hosts the president’s leadership circle, the sloop institute and the annual leadership awards.
- take the lead with experiential learning projects all around campus. previous leadership studies students have worked on projects through the communication leadership lab, a project-based way to learn how to facilitate dialogue and deliberation, and lead-tv, a talk show recorded in fsu’s on-campus television studio.
about our leadership studies faculty:
- meet faculty and staff who take leadership to heart by leading organizations and activities around campus and in the region.
- learn with teachers who take on a mentorship role, assisting you in discovering your own future and what works best for you.
sample leadership studies courses:
introduction to leadership studies – examines fundamental principles and develops basic skills for effective leadership in group, organization and community contexts.
leadership theories and practices – examines traditional and contemporary leadership theories and their application to current leadership challenges.
citizen leader – theoretical and experiential exploration of the opportunities, obstacles and benefits involved in becoming engaged in civic life and social change.
introduction to human communication – fundamental theory and practice of human communication in dyadic, small-group and public situations.
find out more about frostburg state university’s leadership studies program
career outlook for trained leaders
proven leaders are in high demand and can apply their skills to just about any field, even while freelancing or self-employed. possessing good leadership abilities can open doors to higher positions, and having a record of leadership experience to back up your education will help you earn your advancement. check out the bureau of labor statistics’ occupational outlook handbook for information on specific fields.