master of education – curriculum and instruction
create cutting edge instructional programs for the 21st century classroom
technological advances and cultural shifts are driving changes in 21st century education. frostburg’s master of education – curriculum and instruction concentration provides an in-depth immersion in the exciting possibilities available to facilitate richer and more rewarding learning experiences in classrooms or seminar settings. this is a concentration developed specifically for on-the-job teachers and is tailored to address the latest educational reform initiatives. it is an outstanding opportunity for educators who would like to expand their role to take on curricular or instructional leadership responsibilities through such positions as professional development leader or grade-level lead.choose from four educational tracks to meet your career goals:
- national board certification- starting the pathway toward becoming a national board certified teacher
- teacher leadership – desire to be a team or curricular leader in your school or county
- educational technology – become more skilled in the use of technology in the classroom
- elementary stem teacher - learn transdiciplinary approaches to teaching focused on science and math
national board certification track
- learn research skills and become deeply familiar with professional teaching standards.
- complete a national board certification professional portfolio to support your goal of earning certification.
teacher leadership track
- discover opportunities to impact student learning and to extend your influence beyond your own classrooms to teaching teams, schools and districts.
- impact the knowledge and practice in the field and complete an action research project identifying a classroom challenge, researching it, developing and implementing a solution followed by analysis of results.
- take a teacher leadership practicum concurrent with your professional position that focuses on shadowing, experiencing, and completing leadership tasks associated with your role.
educational technology track
- become skilled in the use of technology in the classroom and gain an understanding of advanced instructional design.
- complete an action research project to identify a technological need in the classroom; research and implement solutions and then analyze outcomes.
elementary stem teacher track
- learn about stem standards of practice and how to effectively utilize a transdisciplinary instructional approach to teaching.
- strengthen content area knowledge through activities that incorporate the engineering design process.
- impact the ability of students to solve global problems
master of education – curriculum and instruction highlights:
- complete the concentration either in frostburg or hagerstown. courses are offered in the evening, with some in blended and online format to fit the working professional’s busy lifestyle.
- enter a master's program that is accredited by the national council for accreditation of teacher education – ncate.
- gain skills in instructional design and evaluation that reflect a broad understanding of reform, cultural and technological changes.
about our master of education – curriculum and instruction faculty:
- work with experienced faculty advisors who will help you devise a roadmap to reach your career goals.
- learn from faculty members who are excellent classroom teachers with years of experience working in the elementary and secondary classroom or in an administrative capacity.
- study with professors who include published authors on education and respected presenters at regional and national education conferences.
career outlook for instructional coordinators:
the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates 13 percent growth in jobs for instructional coordinators through 2022. this represents an increase of about 18,500 positions. growth in the field is anticipated to www schools’ growing focus on evaluating and improving curricula and instruction. for more information about work environment, pay and other considerations, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook - instructional coordinators).
other m.ed. degree concentrations available at frostburg state university or usm-hagerstown:
- master of education – special education
- master of education - interdisciplinary
- master of education – literacy
- master of education – educational leadership
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now