master of education - educational leadership
gain the knowledge and experience needed to take a leadership role in schools
frostburg state university’s master of education with a concentration in educational leadership prepares active educators to take an entry-level administrative or supervisory role in a school or district educational environment. the program gives master's students a broad view that encompasses every aspect of the school administrator’s role, from managing human resources and school-community relations to understanding curricular trends, public school financing, facilities operations and legal considerations. the program is intended to lead to advanced certification.
- attend courses in frostburg or hagerstown.
- take courses in the evening to accommodate your busy, working-professional lifestyle.
- enjoy blended or online options for nearly all courses to meet your need for work-life balance
- benefit from advisement services at both locations.
- complete a master of education program that requires only 33 credit hours.
- obtain licensure for the school building-level principal position by coupling your studies with courses prescribed by the maryland state department of education.
- enroll in a master's program that is accredited by national council for accreditation of teacher education – ncate.
master of education – educational leadership highlights:
- complete two semester-long practicums working in an administrative and supervisory capacity within a school and build a portfolio reflective of the experience.
- take the professional education core classes that equip you with knowledge of technology and cultural awareness within the context of global education, developmental theory and research techniques and design.
- learn about public school finance, human resources, curriculum development, school law and other subjects vital to a career in educational leadership through required program courses.
- undertake an action research project to define a need within a school, research and arrive at a planned course of action, implement your plan and analyze results. or, you may also choose to write a master’s thesis or substitute six additional credits of graduate course work.
about our master of education – educational leadership faculty:
- learn from educators who have served as school superintendents, teachers and principals in public schools; accomplished professionals who understand the unique challenges you will face as an educational leader.
- develop a study plan for your master's program in collaboration with an advisor who invests the time to understand your career goals and aspirations.
- attend classes taught by faculty members who stay abreast of the latest developments in education, including technology and curriculum trends.
18 credit-hour post master's certificate in educational leadership
the 18-credit hour post-master’s certificate in educational leadership is an advanced certificate aligned with the standards set forth by the maryland state department of education for administrator i endorsement. this certificate is designed for certified teachers who hold a master’s degree from a fully-accredited institution of higher education. the purpose of this certificate is to prepare students for entry-level positions in educational leadership by equipping them with the techniques, skills, and concepts appropriate to the field. each post master’s certificate candidate will be thoroughly introduced and tested for mastery of the standards-based assessments – on multiple occasions - throughout the coursework. for more information visit the curriculum, admission requirements and admission process links on the right side of this page.
career outlook for principals and educational supervisors:
the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates career growth of 10 percent for school administrators through 2026. for more information on career growth, pay and work environment, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook - elementary, middle, and high school principals).
other m.ed. degree concentrations available at frostburg state university and usm-hagerstown:
- master of education – curriculum and instruction
- master of education - interdisciplinary
- master of education – reading
- master of education – special education
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email email@example.com
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now