master of education – literacy education
assess reading skills, prescribe curricula and improve reading abilities of k-12 students
frostburg state university’s master of education with a concentration in literacy education is designed for certified teachers or those who are eligible for certification and wish to specialize in improving student reading abilities. through this program you will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to be certified as a reading specialist, literary coach or reading teacher. in addition to your core of nine credits in professional education, you will complete the 21-credit literacy core, a three-credit capstone master's research paper/project or thesis and three elective credit hours. the program is highly experiential and requires extensive interaction with students one evening per week through a two-semester reading clinic.
- take some masters courses online and some that are a blend of on-campus and online learning. face-to-face courses are offered in the evening.
- complete courses that lead to advanced certification as a reading specialist.
- take courses in frostburg or at the usm@hagerstown.
- enroll in a masters program that is accredited by national council for accreditation of teacher education – ncate.
master of education – literacy education highlights:
- complete a core of literacy courses including such areas as children’s literature, diagnosis and correction of reading difficulties, organizing and administering a reading program and foundations of teaching reading.
- take part in a reading clinic that meets one evening a week for two semesters to diagnose reading difficulties, assess reading skills of students whose parents want them to receive extra support, and work with these students to raise their reading level.
- complete a “clinical program portfolio” that documents your development through your reading master’s program and is organized around the five standards of reading professionals, as developed by the international reading association.
- complete an action research project to assess reading skills in a specific class or group of students, develop reading strategies to improve skills, prescribe and implement a reading program and follow up by analyzing results.
- take a reading program pre-assessment as well as a program post-assessment demonstrating knowledge gained. both assessments are designed by reading faculty.
- join phi delta kappa, the international fraternity for men and women in education. the chapter serves fsu and the tri-state area surrounding the cumberland-frostburg region. the group actively promotes the interests and education of professional educators.
post-bachelor certificate– literacy education
the 12- credit, online post-bachelor certificate in literacy education is developed from four courses that exist within the current master of education degree, specifically within the concentration in literacy education. this certificate is specifically designed to provide a pathway for those candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree in early childhood, elementary or secondary education to meet the endorsement requirements for reading teacher according to comar 13a.12.03.06.
students who successfully complete the post-bachelor certificate may continue in the m.ed. program to complete a master's degree in literacy education. please see the admission criteria for the post-bachelor certificate and m.ed. program here.
about our faculty:
- learn from faculty members who have many years of experience diagnosing reading difficulties in k-12 students and helping them improve their reading skills.
- take part in small classes that allow you to get to know your instructors well and be mentored in your career field.
career outlook for reading specialists:
the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates job growth of 13% through 2022 for instructional coordinators who specialize in reading. this is slightly higher than the average growth expected across all occupations. this means if you are a k-12 reading specialist who assesses reading abilities and prescribes curriculum to improve skills, your career prospects are favorable. for more information, please visit www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook - instructional coordinators).
other m.ed. degree concentrations available at frostburg state university:
- master of education – curriculum and instruction
- master of education - interdisciplinary
- master of education – special education
- master of education – educational leadership
also see: fsu’s doctor of education in educational leadership - ed.d.
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now