master of education – special education
become a licensed teacher of children with special needs
the master of education with a concentration in special education equips certified classroom teachers with the additional skills required to meet the learning needs of children facing exceptional challenges. the program looks at every element of the special education environment, from understanding exceptionalities and developing appropriate instructional content and practices to planning, managing behaviors and collaborating with others.
- many courses offered online, or blended format to meet the needs of working adults
- choose from two levels of specialization – grades 1-8 or grades 6-12 – and work to attain special education certification at that level.
- enroll in a master’s program that is accredited by the national council for accreditation of teacher education – ncate.
- begin the program if you hold or are eligible for certification as a public school teacher.
master of education – special education highlights:
- full time graduate students will spend more than 300 hours in the classroom working with special needs students, including a practicum experience.
- complete a capstone action research project exploring a special education classroom need, researching potential solutions, proposing and implementing your plan and analyzing outcomes.
- learn to diagnose educational difficulties in children and be able to prescribe educational programs to meet the needs of individual students.
- gain classroom skills for effectively teaching students with special needs.
- acquire the skills needed to serve as an inclusion resource teacher for general education classroom teachers.
- join our phi delta kappa chapter, which is the international fraternity for men and women in education. the organization actively promotes the interests and education of professional educators.
about our master of education – special education faculty:
- learn from educators who are experienced in working with special needs children.
- be advised by faculty members who are deeply committed to your development as a special education instructor.
other m.ed. degree concentrations available at frostburg state university and usm-hagerstown:
- master of education – curriculum and instruction
- master of education - interdisciplinary
- master of education – reading
- master of education – educational leadership
also see: fsu’s doctor of education in educational leadership - ed.d.
career outlook for special education teachers:
the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates 8 percent growth in positions for special education teachers through 2026. growth will be driven by continued demand for special education instructors to help those facing learning, mental, emotional and physical challenges in the classroom, and retirement of those currently holding such positions. for more information about opportunities, work environment and pay, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook - special education teachers).
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email email@example.com
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now