master of science - athletic training
february 15 - application deadline for early admission decision
the undergraduate athletic training program at frostburg state university is no longer admitting students. information on a 3-year bachelor’s degree program transitioning to the master’s degree in athletic training can be found here.
frostburg state university’s athletic training degree specializes in graduating students who are skilled in managing health care problems associated with sport and physical exercise. the rigorous master's program, a part of fsu’s department of kinesiology, requires courses in physical and biological sciences as well as courses specifically designed for athletic training. it is a hands-on program that prepares you to pass the board of certification examination to become a certified athletic trainer.
- complete 71 credit hours of graduate coursework in a professional program over 24 months.
- enter a highly selective athletic training program with a strong reputation throughout maryland and the entire region.
master of science in athletic training highlights:
- gain hands-on experience working with intercollegiate athletes, high school athletes and other affiliate sites under the supervision of a certified and licensed athletic trainer and other health care providers.
- complete seminar and research courses that have been developed to help you master information and pass the board of certification examination.
- be a part of classes that include a combination of didactic and clinical experiences that result in achieving a well-rounded education of medical knowledge and athletic training skills.
- learn athletic training skills using fsu’s extremely well-equipped facilities that include a new athletic training clinic with the latest therapeutic equipment, such as an underwater treadmill.
- develop critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills to successfully work in a field where time and deft action are vitally important to positive medical outcomes.
- join the fsu athletic training club, the student athletic advisory committee or student health advisory council to support your professional development in the athletic training field.
about our athletic training faculty:
- engage with athletic training professionals who have many years of intensive clinical experience.
- learn from experienced faculty with various backgrounds in research, rehabilitation, education, and leadership.
- work side by side with faculty members and preceptors who will work diligently with you to help you succeed.
sample athletic training courses you may take:
emergency medical techniques in athletic training – gain an introduction to the management of medical emergencies in an athletic training environment.
therapeutic modalities– undertake the study of both the theoretical basis and practical use of various therapeutic modalities. learn how modalities such as heat, cold, electricity and ultrasound work.
orthopedic assessment i and ii – learn how to assess injuries to all parts of the body, from the head to the toes.
find out more about frostburg state university’s athletic training program requirements (pdf).
career outlook for athletic trainers:
as parents and educators become more aware of the dangers of sports-related injuries at a young age, the demand for knowledgeable athletic trainers will grow rapidly. for this reason, the u.s. bureau of labor statistics anticipates job growth of 19 percent through 2022 for athletic trainers, which is faster than the average across all occupations. for more information, visit www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm (u.s. government occupational outlook handbook).
to find out more:
- call the office of graduate services at 301.687.7053
- email email@example.com
- learn more: register for a webinar or attend an event
- apply now