master of science - counseling psychology
application deadline february 15
the m.s. in counseling psychology program is accredited by the masters in psychology and counseling accreditation council (mpcac) for the period beginning august, 2018 through august, 2028.
earn a degree that prepares you to become a licensed clinical professional counselor (lcpc)
frostburg state university’s master’s degree in counseling psychology prepares students to work in mental health clinics, counseling centers, addictions clinics, and human service agencies. the program is committed to science-based training and was the first counseling psychology master’s program in maryland and only the sixth nationwide to receive accreditation from the master’s in psychology accrediting council. the fsu master’s program is focused on the development of your personal qualities, understanding and professional skills that will make you an able practitioner in the field. the program includes significant self-discovery as well as the acquisition of the competencies of a professional counselor.
- complete the master of counseling psychology program in three years – two in classroom study and one in an internship.
- enroll in a program that prepares you to take the next step in the cpc (certified professional counselor) certification process.
- be part of a program with graduates working as mental health counselors, marriage and family counselors, crisis counselors, drug and alcohol counselors, college counselors or enrolled in doctoral programs.
master of science - counseling psychology highlights:
- be part of a small cohort of graduate students to facilitate group interaction and learning.
- participate in small classes with an average student-to-faculty ratio of ten to one.
- complete a personal growth experience that includes individual therapy to gain a broader perspective of the counseling relationship through directly experiencing the role of the client.
- complete a year-long internship working in a mental health setting and graduate with 1,000 hours of supervised clinical experience required for you to move from liscensed graduate professional counselor (lgpc) status to licensed clinical professional counselor (lcpc) status which is a desirable asset for potential employers.
- join psi chi, the national honor society for psychology students and be eligible for special scholarships, attend psychological conventions, and present papers at conventions.
master of science - counseling psychology faculty:
- study with full-time counseling psychology faculty members who hold doctoral degrees in their field and have relevant field experience in counseling and/or clinical practice.
- engage with faculty who have research backgrounds and experiences spanning all areas of practice such as dating violence and sexual abuse, substance abuse, brief therapy, family therapy, behavioral analysis and family behavior, among others.
- build strong relationships and be individually mentored by your highly experienced counseling psychology professors.
career outlook for counseling psychology professional:
according to the u.s. bureau of labor statistics, professionals in the counseling psychology field can anticipate job growth of about 23%, much faster than average, through 2026.