one university - offering a world of experiences
frostburg has a unique, valuable education for everyone! no matter what major you pick, you’ll enjoy high-quality, active learning experiences that prepare you for the real world. you’ll meet experienced professionals, thrive with your peers, find a passion and delve into work that makes a difference.
- small classes, with a 16:1 student-teacher ratio, give you personalized learning time with passionate professors dedicated to teaching.
- prestigious internships hosted by groups like the u.s. senate, the national institutes of health, the american cancer society and ibm help you jump-start your career.
- research opportunities abound! many fsu professors actively involve students in their work, and every student has a chance to take on a big project of their own.
- study abroad programs covering the globe link you to one-of-a-kind opportunities to experience the world.
fsu is committed to making a high-quality education accessible to everyone. we keep tuition low and financial aid plentiful so you can focus on earning your college degree.
- frostburg is one of the most affordable 4-year colleges in the state. our annual tuition and fees are about $1,000 less than the national average for public universities.
- our regional tuition rate zone, which covers students in pennsylvania, virginia, west virginia and ohio who live within 120 miles of campus, saves students more than $5,000 per year over out-of-state rates. see the regional zone on google maps.
to help fund your education, we offer a wide range of financial aid programs that enable you to earn your degree without a mountain of debt. learn more about our financial aid programs, which includes scholarships, grants, loans and part-time employment.
students at fsu don’t just get a textbook education – they gain experience working on current issues, creating vibrant content and addressing real-world challenges before they graduate, inside the classroom and out!
- opportunities to put your skills to use on campus range from reporting with the bottom line student newspaper to planning big events with the university programming council to presenting research at the undergraduate research symposium.
- internships are abundant! faculty advisors and often even fsu alumni will help you find an experience that builds up your skill set and resume.
- many of your professors will have research projects, community programs and other studies in which they welcome your participation.
- the college of education puts student-teachers in real k-12 classrooms throughout the region so they can experience first-hand what it’s like to have students of their own.
frostburg excels at putting lessons into action, and nowhere is that more evident than in our efforts for sustainability. beyond its location among the forests and state parks of western maryland, fsu brings an eco-friendly attitude onto campus with flourishing recycling initiatives, green living efforts and the student-approved sustainability fee, which funds student research and projects that aim to make the world a greener place.
- physics majors design and test out renewable energy harvesters.
- earth science majors study how to restore and maintain the world around us.
- Ethnobotany and Wildlife & Fisheries majors create sustainable management plans for the future.
- students of all majors actively participate in regional issues like fracking, coal and alternative energy.
and we look the part, too! frostburg state university is a recognized tree campus usa, and the town of frostburg is a tree city usa. the lane center, our student union, and the gira center are both certified leed gold by the u.s. green building council, which means they don’t just look great, they’re also easy on the environment. and our sustainable energy research facility, a completely off-the-grid complex dedicated to studying sustainability, is both a unique resource and a fine example of what we can accomplish.
we hope you’ll enroll at frostburg and explore our world of experiences!